Water Damage from Sprinkler Systems: Cause and Effect
An automatic sprinkler system is a very valuable tool in fire suppression and prevention. Even so, by some uncontrollable event or if not properly maintained, these systems may fail. This failure could result in disaster by fire or from serious water damage from the sprinklers if water is unexpectedly released.
Common Causes for Sprinkler System Failures
- Freezing of water filled pipes
- Mechanical damage
- Installation defects
- Deliberate sabotage
- Overheating from excessive temperatures
- Corrosion of sprinklers, fittings, pipes, and other components
- Environmental stress cracking of PVC plastic sprinkler pipe and fittings
- Manufacturing defects, including recalled sprinklers
Potential Hazards of Water Damage
- Damage - Destruction to property
- Disruption - Loss of use of property during repairs
- Health Effects - Mold can develop causing health hazards
- Costs - Repair and/or replacement of sprinkler system
- Reputation - Lost customers or tenants due to unusable space
- Maintain fire sprinklers in accordance with recognized standards
- Ensure installations are completed by experienced and licensed contractors
- Take action to reduce chances of system freezing
- Call SERVPRO of Milwaukee North if water damage is experienced in your facility.
SERVPRO of Milwaukee North has the experience and professional staff to bring your property back to its preloss condition quickly and efficiently. Call 414-354-7566 today for a free assessment of your damage.